Monday, July 4, 2011

Difference Between "Bartender" and "Mixologist"

Once and for all, let’s get right down to it and clear up the difference between a “bartender” and a “mixologist.” Going from calling oneself a bartender to a mixologist is sort of giving oneself a promotion in the cocktail world. I’ve personally been a bartender, and I must fully admit that I was JUST a bartender, pouring cocktails created by someone else such as the Tom Collins, Margarita or Batida. I did my job well by making sure everyone was taken care of, ringing up charges and taking re-orders when necessary -- simple bartender.  

"The Pour" is the icing-on-the-cake
  If this had been a profession I was considering taking to the next level, I would have immersed myself into the actual CRAFT of it. The craft is a major difference between bartenders vs. mixologists. A plain old bartender can’t go to a high-end mixology venue and land a job (well, I guess in reality they could -  IF they showed a decent amount of bartending experience and a passion for creating their own unique cocktails). Of course they’ll be asked to make something unique and if they pass the test there is a chance they’ll get hired. It’s a serious profession and not one that just any bartender can do. It’s an art and the artist uses what is in front of them to create something magnificent.


In New York City a mixologist can be catapulted into a star and have a strong fan following – but you have to have pretty wicked cocktail making skills to reach this level. Mixologists take their craft very seriously and some will even have ingredients flown in from other countries to ensure their cocktail is THE most unique cocktail. The coolest ingredient I’ve seen used was the herb horny goat weed. It is, yes, an aphrodisiac and it’s found in South East Asia. I’m sorry I can’t remember the rest of the ingredients as it was a long time ago but I do remember it being extremely tasty and made for quite the evening when I got home ;-) 
Mixology den: Theater Bar
Some top mixologists in NYC: Alex Valencia, Miguel Aranda, Duane Fernandez, Albert Trummer and Orson Salicetti. Top mixology bars in NYC: Death & Co., Macao Trading Co., Employees Only, Theater Bar, Dutch Kills and PDT. Top mixology restaurants in NYC: Yerba Buena (both East and West), Little Giant, Hotel Griffou, Rouge Tomate, Double Crown, The Dressler, Stone Park Café, Red Rooster and we here Boca Chica in the East Village hired on a mixologist to re-create their existing “bartender” menu and turn it into a “mixology” menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment